Saturday, November 11, 2006

Knott So Bad


Although we do have a real gripe with the pirates at Knott's Berry Farm, I can't help but love their authentic (though shabby at times) attempts at recreating a Ghost Town of the 1800s. This man, the Marshall of Ghost Town, has done everything in his power to keep Ghost Town authentic and appealing to pioneers of all ages since 1982. In fact, in recent years he campaigned to open up the famed gambling hall ("Me think someone cheat") to visitors. It now doubles as his Marshall's office where he keeps a cool collection of period guns, lawman badges and wanted posters.


He even reopened up the long shuttered schoolhouse, a real pioneer schoolhouse moved to California from Kansas, where kids can sit in the desks and experience a few moments of schooling from an authentic school marm. TallGirl probably could have been expelled for the length of her skirts, but they let her off with a warning.


This path behind Ghost Town to Boot Hill still remains as it was when I was a boy. And yes, there is still one grave that you can feel the heart of it's resident corpse beating eternally.


Of all the "Old Time Adventures" at Knott's, my favorite is still the first and greatest log flume in the world, The Timber Mountain Log Ride. The taxidermal animals and pitch black first drop make this the only thing I never miss. It's wonderful to see my little adventurers enjoying it as much as I did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's " Knott" Funny.

One of my favorite places ever.

Went there as a boy when I grew up in O.C.Got in free and had a great time.

Love that chicken!

auntibeck said...

Hey! I'm not anonymous, I'm the encourager

auntibeck said...

That is AWESOME! How neat to pass the fun along generation to generation! What a great day!

The Mad Fishicist said...

I took a field trip to the schoolhouse in 4th grade and had to wear a dunce cap. They also made me stand with my nose to a wall and hold books in my outstretched arms, palms up. Then we panned for gold. Do they still do Ghost Town Christmas?

auntibeck said...

Does REality Junkie remember when G & G Dowell were going to take her there for her 3rd birthday and Made Fish looked so sad that they got him ready and took him along too? They rode ponies. And had the mostest fun!

Belle Etoile said...

The log ride is the best! And even as an adult, I am still fascinated by the school house...