Thursday, April 20, 2006

Big Sister



As my parents' first child, I entered the world with naught but my parents to show me the ways of the world. I needed somebody just a little older than myself to help me understand the world in baby step chunks. With no elder sibling to fill that role, I looked elsewhere.

My cousin Mandy welcomed me into the world as a big sister should.

By living the experiences of life less than 2 years before me, she had an expertise I yearned for. She taught me how to avoid eating gross foods like cottage cheese. She helped me avoid punishments by applying "cute" when necessary. She showed me how to put on a show that brings the attention where it belongs, on me. She gave me wardrobe advice in Jr. High. She gave me aloof lessons for High School. For dating, she made women seem much less mysterious.

Today, we trade secrets of life, sharing what we've learned to help the other grow.

Today, we still put on shows.

2 comments:

coolskool mom said...

Happy Birthday Mandy!!!

auntibeck said...

Beautiful Freddy--happy birthday sistah chick!