Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Happy Birthday Laughter


"The younger brother must help to pay for the pleasures of the elder."
- Jane Austen, Mansfield Park


Growing up, my brother was my glad experiment. My ideas became his assignments. My dreams became his directions.

Once, I got him to perform with me in a lip-synch contest at a Christian bookstore. I was to play the struggling Christian protagonist. My brother was to be the devil. He played the part with aplomb, guaranteeing our victory and a sack full of 80s Contemporary Christian cassettes.

Since then, he has chosen a more dignified route of seeking attention and applause.

I still leap at any opportunity to be on a stage sucking up attention (my daughter follows me in this way). It doesn't matter the purpose or the audience, to me any chance to perform is worthy of my performance.

My brother doesn't go in for that. Oh, he enjoys the stage and the attention and the applause. He truly does, but he choses the stage. He chooses the audience.

These days, when he's in town, I can usually come up with some reason for us to pick up guitars and play and sing for family and friends. He always resists.

But then, when the moment is right, and the audience is least expecting it, when he's sure he won't look a fool, and the applause and laughter is guaranteed, he let's them have it.

And they cry. And they sing along.

And they laugh.

Happy Birthday Laughter

6 comments:

Matt said...

Brilliant. You seriously need to post once a day.

coolskool mom said...

Nice Honey, you nailed it on the head as far as describing him... Happy B-day Ike.

auntibeck said...

Laughter it is, joy unspeakable in fact. The two of you making my life worthwhile.

The Mad Fishicist said...

Chin. It was always my pleasure. Thanks for always letting me tag along.


Made me who I am.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

2 of the best men I know. Thanks for letting me be a part of your adventure. I love you both. Happy b-day Ikey.