Thursday, April 20, 2006

Little Sister


Emily Anne Duffield ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz. ~ 20" long ~ 4/19/06 ~ 11:33 p.m

My baby sister, Annie, had a brand new baby girl last night.

Now I have one nephew and three nieces.

But by faith and experience, I find it difficult to see them as merely my brother's and sister's kids. Let me explain.

God has smiled on our family. He has seen to it that, one by one, we've each come to know Him in His own timing. He has elected us, each one, before the foundations of the world for a life leading toward Him, and His Glory, His Grace. Now, while it would be folly to take this for granted, to believe that since we're saved, they will be too, I still believe that little boy and those little girls will one day call on God as their Father. They would then cease to be nephew or niece, and become brother or sister.

My prayer and belief is that this new little girl will someday look to God and accept him as her forever Father, to be called "sister" among our brethren.

To my little sister Annie, congratulations. You are blessed.

To my new little sister Emily, welcome to Earth. If you need anything, let me know.

1 comment:

auntibeck said...

I remember the day so well--it was the Dabbs that brought you to the hospital to see baby sister. And then we let you take baby to Kindergarten for show and tell when she was about two weeks old! You sat on the piano stool and held forth as the classmates got to ask questions. What a sweet memory.

That day will come when we are all on the other side of that doorway that said "chosen before the foundation of the world only to see on the other side of the doorway the words, "whosover will, may come." By faith we believe that God will bring it all to pass in His perfect time.